Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua police say man pulled from Merrimack River was a Hudson resident
It was not immediately known on Wednesday whether the white male found floating in the water by a fisherman had drowned or died from other causes. The state medical examiner was on the scene; an autopsy is expected to be conducted.
Several emergency vehicles were parked along the on-ramp to the bridge, and investigators were seen walking down an embankment that leads to a railroad path at the edge of the river.
If the man's death was a drowning, it will mark the sixth drowning in New Hampshire waterways since the July 4th weekend, including the drowning of a 3-year-old girl.
"The increase in temperatures has drawn people to the water to cool off, and a number of unsuspecting people have run into trouble in these waters, some with tragic results," says a release issued by Capt. Bruce Hansen. "In recent weeks, people of all ages have fallen victim to drowning throughout the state."
"Residents are encouraged to swim in city pools or other bodies of water that are monitored by lifeguards, and to watch small children carefully," the statement says.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Dover toll plaza appears undamaged after Tuesday crash - 2
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 3
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 4
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072