Home » News » Public Safety
Lobsterman remembered as 'gentleman and gentle man'
"He was a gentleman and a gentle man," said Jeffrey Collins of Exeter, Rahn's close friend. "He's well-loved and he'll be sorely missed."
But Friday morning, something apparently went terribly wrong while Rahn, an experienced diver, was in the river.
New Hampshire Marine Patrol got a 9-1-1 call around 10:45 a.m. Friday, reporting that a diver had not resurfaced in the area of the Sarah Long Bridge. Crews from the Marine Patrol, Fish and Game Department, U.S. Coast Guard and Portsmouth police and fire departments searched for the missing man throughout the day.
Collins, who is principal at Portsmouth High School, remembered how excited Rahn was last spring when Collins asked him what he thought about taking his lobster boat and two Portsmouth High students up to Lake Winnipesaukee for the first-ever New Hampshire Interscholastic Athletic Association bass fishing tournament.
Collins said the tournament, held in May, was a perfect opportunity for Rahn to combine his love of kids, the water and his hometown.
"One of the kids turned to him halfway through and said, 'This is the best day I've ever had in my life.'
R. Patrick Corbin, executive director of the NHIAA, recalled how Rahn's lobster boat created quite a stir at the bass fishing tournament.
"Everybody got a big kick out of it," he said.
Collins said Rahn's wife, Martha Rahn, is a secretary at Portsmouth High; the couple raised a daughter and a son. He said the school community is very tight-knit and will do what it can to take care of Rahn's family now.
"All of our hearts and minds are with his wife and his family," he said. "I'm sure the community will pull together for the family and be there for each other."
Rahn told the Union Leader he also was on a boat that capsized in 1993 or 1994 while he was under the Sarah Long drawbridge. He said he felt lucky that both incidents hadn't ended much worse.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 2
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you