Stoppage-time goals lift Revs over Crew
Deadlocked at 0-0 entering stoppage time – four minutes as added by referee Edvin Jurisevic – the Revolution converted a corner kick in the 91st minute. Off Lee Nguyen's corner kick service, Goncalves headed a ball through Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum's legs as A.J. Soares flashed in front of him, putting the Revs up 1-0.
Columbus tried to build out of the back for the equalizer as stoppage time wound down, but three minutes later Crew defender Chad Marshall left a lazy back pass at the edge of the Revs' attacking third, and Nguyen pounced, sending Fagundez in on Gruenebaum alone. The 18-year-old beat the keeper – again between his legs – as he came out to cut down the angle, giving New England the final 2-0 lead. It was the teenager's team-leading sixth goal of the season, and capped Nguyen's second two-assist game in four matches.
The win snapped the Revs' modest two-game losing streak, and gave the team its third win on the road this season – its most since 2009 when the team went 4-6-5 away from Gillette Stadium. The Revs (7-7-6, 27 points) are now 3-4-3 in away games this year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dodgers shut out Cardinals in NLCS Game 3 - 0
- Manchester Memorial grad Chris Lambert enters Boston College Hall of Fame - 1
- Finally, Tampa Bay's Sam Fuld gets to meet new son - 0
- Rays blank Indians in wild card game, headed to Boston for ALDS - 0
- Conway’s Locke left off Pirates’ playoff roster - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Playoff roster is Farrell's job - 0
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 1
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released