action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Anthony Michael Kay

Anthony M. Kay

Jul 10, 2014

Paul Grace

Paul Grace

Jun 26, 2014

Eddie Cepeda

CAPTURED

Eddie Cepeda

Jun 20, 2014

Marsalis Johnson

CAPTURED

Marsalis Johnson

Jun 11, 2014

Home » News » Crime

July 22. 2013 3:10PM

Convicted sex offender again accused of sexual assaults in Merrimack


CLYDE SHATNEY 

MERRIMACK — A convicted sex offender is again behind bars after police charged him with assaulting a 13-year-old boy after the child and his younger brother were dropped off at the man's home on Friday.

According to police, Clyde Earl Shatney, 51, of 42 Bean Road, has been arrested and charged with four counts of felonious sexual assault on a minor for the Friday afternoon incident.

Captain Michael Dudash would not say who dropped the children off at Shatney's home, but police did confirm that Shatney is a family friend of the boys' mother. Still, Dudash would not elaborate on whether the mother was aware that Shatney was a registered sex offender.

Both boys, ages 13 and 10, were dropped off at the residence late Friday morning; however, the mother picked up the younger son a short time later, said Dudash.

The older child, however, was alone with Shatney when the alleged sexual assaults took place sometime between 2 and 3 p.m., said police.

According to court records, Shatney forced the boy to perform sexual acts on him, while Shatney also conducted sexual acts on the boy.

The child eventually sought help from a nearby homeowner around 4 p.m. Friday on Woodbine Lane in Merrimack, and that neighbor subsequently contacted authorities.

A search warrant was executed, and Shatney's home was identified as a crime scene, according to police. After an initial investigation and multiple interviews, Shatney was arrested on numerous sexual assault charges.

On Monday, he was arraigned at the 9th Circuit Court, Milford District Division, where Judge Martha Crocker ordered that bail be set at $200,000 cash.

"I think for the allegation, that is appropriate," Dudash said Monday, explaining police are still investigating the circumstances leading up to the assault.

The younger brother, added Dudash, was not a victim of any of the assaults.

Dudash said police are also studying Shatney's criminal record, which includes two sexual assault convictions in 2010. His criminal record dates back prior to 1985, according to online reports, which state that Shatney was previously convicted of unrelated charges of bail jumping, simple assault and attempted burglary.

The police affidavit supporting the most recent sexual assaults has been sealed at the courthouse. Shatney has signed a waiver of extradition, and is due back in court July 30 for a probable cause hearing, this time at the 9th Circuit Court, Merrimack District Division.

He has been ordered to have no contact with anyone under the age of 18, or the victim, who is identified as "MC" in court records.

khoughton@newstote.com


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
  • Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
  • Yes
  • 83%
  • No
  • 17%
  • Total Votes: 917

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events