NH OKs opening of three new charter schools
The three schools approved last Thursday were the Gate City School for the Arts in Nashua, the Mountain Village Charter School in Plymouth and the Founders Academy Charter School in Londonderry.
In September, 2012, the Board of Education announced a moratorium on new charter schools due to a lack of funds available to cover the adequacy payments of $5,450 per student the state doles out to charter schools. A new rule saying Education Board members can no longer deny a charter school application due to lack of state funding alone is also now in effect.
"The funds we needed were included in the budget," said Raffio.
In 2003, the state kicked off a 10-year pilot program to include up to 20 charter schools. Prior to 2003, charter organizers needed approval from the state and local school boards. In 2011, a bill was passed establishing the pilot program on a permanent basis and removing the 20 school maximum.
"We are so excited to have the opportunity to open," said Cevasco. "Everyone involved has put in so much work on this, we can't wait to welcome the students."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 2
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return