Home » News » Public Safety
Antique car destroyed in Claremont garage fire
The “1963 Studebaker Avanti is most likely a total loss,” Fire Chief Rick Bergeron said in a press release.
The property and car owner, Philip Mudge, had first attempted to douse the blaze with a garden hose.
Smoke was first noticed coming from the garage around 3:30 p.m.
“His efforts did, however, buy some time for the building, which allowed the fire department to reach his rural location,” Bergeron said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control just after 4 p.m., but stayed on scene another 90 minutes to vent the building and check for hot spots.
Though one bay of the garage suffered severe fire damage, Bergeron praised “the excellent actions of the first responding firefighters” with saving the garage and nearby barn.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- State revokes license for New Hampshire childcare center amid abuse allegations - 1
- Downed wires shuts Concord street - 0
- Quick-acting Litchfield woman jumps into canoe and paddles to rescue of kayaker - 1
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- Two fires in Manchester - 0
- Indictments issued in fatal crashes in Dover, Barrington, Rochester - 1
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis citizens speaking out against controversial gas pipeline - 2
- UNH library halts book disposal after complaints - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified race was top shelf - 0
- Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee - 0
- Edie Loeb Tomasko dies, leaves UpReach Therapeutic Riding Center legacy - 0
- Witt named UNH women’s hockey coach - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Bedford boys remains focused on third title - 0
- Fisher Cats steal home, beat New Britain - 0
- Executive Council vote: Centralized immunization registry becoming a reality - 0
Hudson woman accused of cooking "meth"
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison