Home » News » Public Safety
Antique car destroyed in Claremont garage fire
The “1963 Studebaker Avanti is most likely a total loss,” Fire Chief Rick Bergeron said in a press release.
The property and car owner, Philip Mudge, had first attempted to douse the blaze with a garden hose.
Smoke was first noticed coming from the garage around 3:30 p.m.
“His efforts did, however, buy some time for the building, which allowed the fire department to reach his rural location,” Bergeron said.
Firefighters had the blaze under control just after 4 p.m., but stayed on scene another 90 minutes to vent the building and check for hot spots.
Though one bay of the garage suffered severe fire damage, Bergeron praised “the excellent actions of the first responding firefighters” with saving the garage and nearby barn.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 0
- Winning $100,000 lottery ticket sold in Laconia - 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 6
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 7
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll