Home » Opinion » Editorials
Cheers! To the NH Liquor Commission
The state's liquor stores brought in a record $603.5 million in the last fiscal year. Of that, $145.7 million in profit went to the general fund. That equals the state's take from the communications tax, real estate transfer tax and court fines and fees. That is how important liquor sales are to the New Hampshire state budget.
The state's reliance on liquor and wine sales is why former Liquor Commission Chairman Mark Bodi sought to transform the Liquor Commission's culture from bureaucratic to entrepreneurial. In just the last two years, the commission renovated or relocated outlets in Concord, Gilford, Hampstead, Lebanon, Lincoln, Manchester, Merrimack, Nashua, North Hampton, Peterborough, Plaistow, Portsmouth, and West Chesterfield. New marketing programs attracted more people, particularly out-of-staters, to the more customer-friendly stores. Revenue exploded.
When new, bigger stores open in Bedford, Manchester, Milford and on I-93, the state will rake in millions more.
The Liquor Commission's success (Chairman Joe Mollica is capably implementing Bodi's vision) is great for New Hampshire. It not only boosts the economy by drawing tourists, but it reduces the pressure to raise taxes. We will happily raise a glass to that.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 26
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 5
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
- NH's 9/11 victims: We cannot forget - 0
- Celebrating Stark: And America, in Manchester - 0
- NH's Obamabots: Taking their cues from party bosses - 57
- Spending & voting: MayDay's wasted money - 5
- For the NH GOP: Two new stars - 13
- 9/11 memories revived: 'A quiet, unyielding anger' - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 2
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- UPDATED: Manchester carpenter, 51, arraigned in Nashua child sexual assault - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 1
DWI license revocations
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax