Mark Hayward's City Matters: A close call for mother, daughter
Janet DeJesus and Shanice Perez know about close calls.
• On July 7, a woman reported she was sexually assaulted on Sagamore Street by a man matching Ojo's description — black male, shaved head — and driving a blue Pontiac SUV, the make and color of his vehicle.
Ojo is a Nigerian native who is apparently in this country legally, according to previous news reports. He seems to know the legal system. He sued the city for false arrest in the 2010 case, a suit the state Supreme Court has ruled can move forward.
His court cases feature lengthy, handwritten motions. With proper grammar and spelling, he writes in near legalese and quotes Supreme Court rulings in his favor.
"It is scary knowing there was a person following me," said DeJesus, who is 36. "To find out two weeks later about him, I thought 'Wow, it could have been me."'
In this case, all of the above.
It's clear that police are concerned about Ojo. The July 11 arrest took place minutes after Ojo allegedly forced himself on the woman. Based on Ojo's recent history, police were staking him out for two hours and parked just down the street from where the alleged attack took place.
"Maybe that (the alleged July 11 attack) would have never happened if they did something. That could have been me," Perez said.
Mark Hayward's City Matters runs Thursdays in the New Hampshire Union Leader and UnionLeader.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads