Sep 18, 2014
Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Manchester man faces murder charges in wife's stabbing death
MANCHESTER — A grand jury indicted a city man on alternative murder charges for allegedly stabbing his wife of 10 years to death last spring.
John Hogarty, 53, is charged with one count each of first- and second-degree murder for stabbing Michelle Hogarty, 46, multiple times in the neck and slitting her throat inside her 316 Mammoth Road home between April 30 and May 1.
Hogarty is being held without bail pending arraignment in Hillsborough County Superior Court set for 9 a.m. Aug. 7.
The grand jury returned the indictments July 19. The court made them public Thursday.
Friends described Michelle Hogarty as a caring mother who stayed home to raise her 6-year-old son. They said she recently battled throat cancer and fibromyalgia. She previously worked as a part-time cashier at a local grocery store.
A first-degree murder conviction carries a maximum life prison sentence without possibility of parole. It requires convincing a jury that Hogarty acted purposely when he allegedly stabbed his wife to death.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Police release photos from alleged hotel robbery - 0
- Nashua driver charged after crashing car 25 minutes after getting 92-mph speeding ticket - 1
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 2
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 28
- Dalton man sentenced for assaulting inmate - 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 3
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917