Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Manchester man faces murder charges in wife's stabbing death
MANCHESTER — A grand jury indicted a city man on alternative murder charges for allegedly stabbing his wife of 10 years to death last spring.
John Hogarty, 53, is charged with one count each of first- and second-degree murder for stabbing Michelle Hogarty, 46, multiple times in the neck and slitting her throat inside her 316 Mammoth Road home between April 30 and May 1.
Hogarty is being held without bail pending arraignment in Hillsborough County Superior Court set for 9 a.m. Aug. 7.
The grand jury returned the indictments July 19. The court made them public Thursday.
Friends described Michelle Hogarty as a caring mother who stayed home to raise her 6-year-old son. They said she recently battled throat cancer and fibromyalgia. She previously worked as a part-time cashier at a local grocery store.
A first-degree murder conviction carries a maximum life prison sentence without possibility of parole. It requires convincing a jury that Hogarty acted purposely when he allegedly stabbed his wife to death.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Manchester man detained on Nashua rape charges involving child - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 1
- Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced - 0
- Man claims rights were violated during investigation - 0
- DWI license revocations - 0
- Salem man arrested for alleged bathroom videotaping - 0
- OHRV trail official hopes arrest will deter others - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bella, a chihuahua mix, is still missing in Auburn - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 12
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Obama to announce ramped-up efforts to beat Ebola - 0
- Quake strikes northeast of Tokyo, no reports of serious damage - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Lawyer wants cellphone evidence thrown out
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917