MANCHESTER — The city’s water supply is being treated with a strong chlorine disinfectant following the detection of elevated levels of coliform bacteria.
City health officials said on Wednesday that there is no danger to the public, and water does not need to be boiled. Residents, however, should not be surprised if water from their taps has a stronger chlorine taste than usual over the next week, according to the Manchester Water Works.
The agency detected the elevated coliform levels during routine tests earlier this month.
Coliform bacteria are generally not harmful and are naturally present in the environment, but they can be an indication of the presence of more harmful bacteria, such as fecal coliform or E. coli. The Water Works did not find any of these bacteria in subsequent testing.
Typically, coliform bacteria are a sign that there could be a problem with the treatment system or pipes, according to the Water Works.
Treatment with the stronger chlorine disinfectant will continue for at least five days. Once coliform levels return to acceptable levels, the standard method of disinfection will resume.
The Water Works takes more than 120 monthly water samples, as required by the Safe Drinking Water Act.
Residents who have questions or concerns related to water treatment can contact David Miller, deputy director at the Water Works, at 624-6482.
Those with general health related questions can call Dave Gordon of the state Department of Environmental Services at 271-4608.