John Stossel: Detroit was sunk by decades of lousy ideas
The Detroit News revealed that Detroit in 2011 had around twice as many municipal employees per capita as cities with comparable populations. The city water and sewer department employed a "horseshoer" even though it keeps no horses.
Politicians think they know best, but they can't alter the laws of economics. They can't make mismanaged industries, constant government meddling, welfare and bureaucratic labor union rules (Detroit has 47 unions) into a formula for success.
As usual, the politicians want to try more of the same. They constantly come up with plans, but the plans are always big, simple-minded ones that run roughshod over the thousands of little plans made by ordinary citizens. Politicians want new stadiums, new transportation schemes, housing projects.
Insulated from serious criticism, insulated from economic reality, Detroit thought somehow it'd muddle through — until now. There is a big lesson, if people elsewhere are willing to learn before it's too late.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic change Wednesday for Keene State move-in day - 0
- Historic Blair Bridge in Campton reopened - 1
- Creative ways to finance rail in NH pushed - 12
- Hudson grapples with traffic concerns as industrial park grows - 0
- Nashua transportation roundtable event canceled - 0
- Crews making progress on Derry's Rockingham Road - 1
- Crews make progress sprucing up Derry's Abbott Court, Central Court - 0
- Nashua aldermen asked to prioritize paving needs - 0
- State police targeting unsafe trucks, buses in 72-hour enforcement campaign - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you