Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Past conviction may be used against man charged in 2001 murder in Auburn
Prosecutors relayed the tidbit about Collins’ alleged deception while asking a judge permission to admit evidence about his 2002 conviction for making a false report to law enforcement.
The state wants to use Collins’ conviction to cross examine him if he takes the witness stand in his own defense, but that decision will be left to a judge.
Prosecutors suggested in court papers that Collins’ account of the murder — especially if he testifies — could be a key aspect of the trial.
Collins eventually admitted to investigators in April 2012 that he shot and killed Jodoin, claiming that Jodoin pulled him into the bedroom and attempted to sexually assault him, prosecutors said. Collins told police he went into the kitchen, retrieved Jodoin’s handgun and killed him.
Collins was arrested for Jodoin’s murder in May 2012 -- four months after a pair of investigators with the state’s Cold Case Unit reopened the investigation.
At the time, he worked a handyman for Jodoin, who owned Mr. I Buy And Sell Everything located on Manchester’s west side.
“He stated that he did not see a handgun, holster or gun-belt during the time he was at Jodoin’s home,” Coughlin said in the motion. “He also claimed that he did not know about the murder until the following day.” A judge recently approved the state’s request to use a similar Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum handgun used in the murder to show the jury during trial. Jury selection is expected to begin in October.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Delayed sexual assault trial to start today - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 8
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 17
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 5
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424