Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Deerfield man arraigned on charge of selling heroin that caused death
Police allege that after buying heroin from Leighton, James O'Rourke, 29, died from using the drug.
Leighton was ordered held on $100,000 cash bail at his arraignment this morning and is being held at Rockingham County jail, said prosecutor Zach Cross.
Leighton is charged with sale of a controlled drug with a death resulting, which Cross explained is a special felony that carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Leighton has a probable cause hearing scheduled for Aug. 1 at the 10th Circuit Court Derry Division.
Chief Michael Greeley of Deerfield police said O'Rourke's death appears to be unintentional, as the heroin used appears to be free of contaminants.
"We are not sure if he overdosed or just had a bad reaction," Greeley said.
"But I feel we have a strong case, otherwise we wouldn't have turned it over to the prosecutor," Greeley said.
He added that based upon the investigation, he does not think that O'Rourke's death was a suicide. Sgt. Michael Lavoie previously said that Leighton was arrested after a six-month investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Police say woman broke into Hollis home and took pictures - 0
- Addiction treatment doctor gets restricted license - 0
- Newmarket man charged with sex assault of 12-year-old girl - 0
- Wife charged with stabbing husband during argument - 0
- Imprisoned pair could add to their already lengthy sentences if found guilty of assault - 0
- Judge nixes house arrest for man convicted in Ponzi scheme - 0
- Raymond man faces possession of child porn charges - 0
- Man failed to note conviction on gun permit - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917