Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Deerfield man arraigned on charge of selling heroin that caused death
Police allege that after buying heroin from Leighton, James O'Rourke, 29, died from using the drug.
Leighton was ordered held on $100,000 cash bail at his arraignment this morning and is being held at Rockingham County jail, said prosecutor Zach Cross.
Leighton is charged with sale of a controlled drug with a death resulting, which Cross explained is a special felony that carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Leighton has a probable cause hearing scheduled for Aug. 1 at the 10th Circuit Court Derry Division.
Chief Michael Greeley of Deerfield police said O'Rourke's death appears to be unintentional, as the heroin used appears to be free of contaminants.
"We are not sure if he overdosed or just had a bad reaction," Greeley said.
"But I feel we have a strong case, otherwise we wouldn't have turned it over to the prosecutor," Greeley said.
He added that based upon the investigation, he does not think that O'Rourke's death was a suicide. Sgt. Michael Lavoie previously said that Leighton was arrested after a six-month investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424