Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Deerfield man arraigned on charge of selling heroin that caused death
Police allege that after buying heroin from Leighton, James O'Rourke, 29, died from using the drug.
Leighton was ordered held on $100,000 cash bail at his arraignment this morning and is being held at Rockingham County jail, said prosecutor Zach Cross.
Leighton is charged with sale of a controlled drug with a death resulting, which Cross explained is a special felony that carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.
Leighton has a probable cause hearing scheduled for Aug. 1 at the 10th Circuit Court Derry Division.
Chief Michael Greeley of Deerfield police said O'Rourke's death appears to be unintentional, as the heroin used appears to be free of contaminants.
"We are not sure if he overdosed or just had a bad reaction," Greeley said.
"But I feel we have a strong case, otherwise we wouldn't have turned it over to the prosecutor," Greeley said.
He added that based upon the investigation, he does not think that O'Rourke's death was a suicide. Sgt. Michael Lavoie previously said that Leighton was arrested after a six-month investigation.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Conn. tractor-trailer driver charged in Manchester hit and run - 1
- Goffstown man held in Triangle Credit Union robbery, burglaries - 0
- 2 Bay State men arrested for Peterborough credit union robbery - 1
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Police recover stolen SUV investigating burglary - 0
- Woman arrested after crash at Dover tolls, facing DWI charge - 0
- Fugitive of the week: Juan Zayas-Diaz - 0
- Man turns himself in for Dover burglary warrant - 0
- Police say Laconia man threatened toddler - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dingman granted conditional parole - 3
- Suicide bomber, gunmen kill 52 in Yemen - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans - 10
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 12
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Believe it: Celtics are in first - 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
Dingman granted conditional parole
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424