Manchester set to host Ruth 13's tourney
“Somewhere along the line over the last three or four years, we’ve played just about every team in the regional tournament,” said Manchester manager Tony Doucet. “I can tell you all eight teams have strong baseball communities.”
The double-elimination format tournament will continue with four games Sunday. Two games are slated for 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, followed by the losers’ bracket finals next Wednesday at 6 p.m. The finals will be staged on Thursday, Aug. 1 at 5 p.m.
Doucet is coaching his 11th All-Star team. His teams have reached the regionals seven times with two World Series appearances in 2010 (fifth overall in Levelland, tex.) and in 2007 in Loudon County, Va., finishing eighth.
Manchester played in five state tournament games last week and Doucet said his team’s strength is defense and pitching.
Doucet has tabbed Ryan Plentzas as the opening round starter. “He’s been outstanding all year and when he’s locked in, he’s as good as anyone. Ryan throws strikes and that’s what good pitchers do.”
Doucet said O’Sullivan is a solid first baseman with a lot of range and, second baseman Aidan Horne and Plentzas, when not pitching, make the team stronger up the middle. Pavitt and Keegan Hall give the team depth at third base and Doucet said he has seven quality outfielders, Matt Nault, Eric Langley, Markus Joseph, Dante Goldner, Bryce Vigneault, Foster and Von Breeden.
and Bedford will keep manager Cary Buxton in their thoughts as he is home recovering from surgery.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Input sought on Keene board of ed candidates - 0
- Colorful Tradition at UNH - 0
- Media Power Youth targets preventing youth violence - 0
- Better parent-child communication is Pembroke talk topic - 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Fourth-graders ‘experience’ Ellis Island
Copper stolen from old Salem school
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Two in Keene robbed at home
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list