Home » Sports » Sports Columns
John Habib's City Sports: No banquet, just baseball
Instead, the director of the Manchester Babe Ruth League decided, bringing the eight teams together at Gill Stadium for a home run derby contest Friday night would be more entertaining.
"I just thought it would be neat for other communities around New England to visit the stadium," he said. "There's so much history here."
"We stay in our normal routine we just went through in the district and state tournaments," Lavigne said. "We can hold batting practice in our own park before the game and take the 10-minute ride to the stadium. We're also going to have great fan support throughout the tournament. It can only help us."
"He's coached in Bedford for nearly 20 years, and has done so much for the kids and league," Lavigne said. "We wish him a speedy and healthy recovery."
"That's the goal, and I think it's attainable if one or both of the local teams are still playing by next Wednesday or Thursday," he said.
"We only had enough kids to fill three team rosters this year on the 13-year-olds level," he said. "We'll have to wait until next spring to see if the sign-ups increase. If not, we'll become a 13- to15-year-olds Babe Ruth League, like we were back in the 1970s. We'll still have all-star teams (Woodlocks, Hanagans, Lebels) for the three levels, but only one league for the regular season."
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Reports: Yankees get Red Sox Jacoby Ellsbury - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ice storm threatens the region - 0
- Jury deadlocked in Keene murder trial - 0
- Home Depot comes through in Derry with new decorations - 2
- Judicial, PUC appointments before Executive Council - 0
- Donald Trump to visit NH - 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 22
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass