Home » Sports » Sports Columns
John Habib's City Sports: No banquet, just baseball
Instead, the director of the Manchester Babe Ruth League decided, bringing the eight teams together at Gill Stadium for a home run derby contest Friday night would be more entertaining.
"I just thought it would be neat for other communities around New England to visit the stadium," he said. "There's so much history here."
"We stay in our normal routine we just went through in the district and state tournaments," Lavigne said. "We can hold batting practice in our own park before the game and take the 10-minute ride to the stadium. We're also going to have great fan support throughout the tournament. It can only help us."
"He's coached in Bedford for nearly 20 years, and has done so much for the kids and league," Lavigne said. "We wish him a speedy and healthy recovery."
"That's the goal, and I think it's attainable if one or both of the local teams are still playing by next Wednesday or Thursday," he said.
"We only had enough kids to fill three team rosters this year on the 13-year-olds level," he said. "We'll have to wait until next spring to see if the sign-ups increase. If not, we'll become a 13- to15-year-olds Babe Ruth League, like we were back in the 1970s. We'll still have all-star teams (Woodlocks, Hanagans, Lebels) for the three levels, but only one league for the regular season."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New spokesman named for Diocese of Manchester - 0
- First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Derry celebrates 100 years - 0
- Ararat Armenian Congregational Church in Salem celebrates 100 years, welcomes pastor - 0
- Interfaith Thanksgiving Service is Monday - 1
- Annual collection helps religious communities address retirement shortfall - 0
- Keene church to hold Colonial Thanksgiving service Sunday - 0
- New Baptist church opening in Concord - 0
- Londonderry church blesses pets - 0
- Center gets grant from bishop's fund - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 2
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
Anderson lewdness trial is delayed