Tree falls, causes damage to Swanzey school building
“So it happened sometime overnight,” she said.
The pine tree was over 100-feet tall and very wide, and was perhaps dislodged by the heavy rains this summer, she said.
“It just looked like a bad tooth that got pulled,” she said.The Wilcox Building on Old Homestead Highway/Route 32, just past the district’s middle and high school buildings, is more than a 160 years old, having been built by the town in 1850.
“They made it absolutely beautiful,” she said.
The building is assessed at $336,000.
“We just haven’t had time to think about it,” she said.
The tree was removed Friday, but appears to have destroyed the building. Insurance agents are still assessing the damage, though, she said.
“I don’t believe it to be safe at all,” she said.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
- Argentina tops Netherlands in shootout to reach final - 0
- Uehara named to AL all-star team - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax