Home » News » Politics » State House Dome
Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Next up in Concord is deciding Medicaid expansion
When the House and Senate could not resolve their differences over the issue - the Democratic-controlled House and Gov. Maggie Hassan want to expand the program, the Republican-controlled Senate wants to wait - they did agree to establish a commission to make recommendations by Oct. 15.
Members met last week for the third time, hearing from Health and Human Service Department officials. They will meet Tuesday to hear from Insurance Department officials.
There are options to expanding Medicaid eligibility, including using the state's Health Insurance Premium Payment program, through which Medicaid pays a recipient's private health insurance premium, or using the health insurance exchange and private insurers to provide coverage for those between 100 to 138 percent of poverty.
The politics of expansion are fairly simple: Republicans don't want the ACA to work so they can use it as an issue for the 2014 elections; Democrats want it to work so they can use it for the 2014 elections.
The group will hold a picnic at noon Thursday on the State House lawn, where subs will be available and participants can listen to speakers talk about the act and its affects on the state.
"From cuts in services to higher premiums to doctor shortages to people being dumped from high-quality insurance onto a substandard Medicaid program, Obamacare will impact almost everyone's health care and access to care," Moore said.
There are 12 full-time vacancies and seven part-time vacancies in the circuit court division, which includes district, family and probate courts.
The state budget includes funds for a new superior court judge this fiscal year and another next fiscal year.
Hassan's Judicial Selection Commission will review candidates and make recommendations to her. She will decide whom to nominate, then seek Executive Council approval.
READER COMMENTS: 7
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Lots of finger-pointing after Medicaid expansion defeat - 8
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Battle likely on expanding Medicaid eligibility - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: All Medicaid expansion, all the time in Concord - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Lawmakers tackle expanding Medicaid eligibility under Obamacare - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Highway funding a never-ending battle - 1
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Expect new smoking ban debate - 7
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Medicaid panel set to be heard - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Common ground eyed on Medicaid expansion - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Committee's challenge: how to accept Medicaid money - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice