Home » Sports » Baseball » Youth leagues
Lavigne leads the way for Bedford; Manchester eliminated from Babe Ruth 13 baseball tourney
Manchester’s all-stars came up just short in their bid to do the same later in the day.
Brattleboro, Vt., knocked Manchester’s Lebel All-Stars, the host team, out of the tournament, 14-12, in a later afternoon game.
But they came up just short and finished the game with the tying run on first base in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Vermont scored the next five runs to go up 14-9.
Bedford 12, Central Maine 4
Coach Kevin Lavigne’s Bedford team broke things open with a six-run seventh inning and then held off Central Maine with sharp pitching and defense.
Grant Lavigne, the coach’s son, led the way at the plate and on the mound.
Central Maine, the home team in the game, got the two runs in the bottom of the first inning to grab a 2-1 lead.
Lavigne batted with two outs and the bases loaded and worked his way to a full count. He then ripped a fastball to the fence.
“That gave us big momentum,” Kevin Lavigne said. “We go from being down 2-1 to up 5-2 on a full count. That’s a big pitch in the game. The kids were up and energized and enthusiastic.”
On Saturday, Bedford fell into a big hole early and its pitchers walked eight batters in a 9-5 loss in a tourney opener.
Lavigne allowed five hits, struck out four and walked none. Ryan Andrews came on in relief in the sixth and allowed three hits and walked one in his two innings.
Bedford had seven hits in the game and took advantage of 16 walks issued by Central Maine pitchers.
Plymouth, Mass., held off Westfield, 10-8, in a Sunday afternoon game.
Plymouth improved to 2-0 in the tournament. Westfield is 1-1.
Manchester lost its opening game in the tournament, 7-2, to Coventry, R.I., on Saturday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice