Home » Sports » Baseball » Youth leagues
Lavigne leads the way for Bedford; Manchester eliminated from Babe Ruth 13 baseball tourney
Manchester’s all-stars came up just short in their bid to do the same later in the day.
Brattleboro, Vt., knocked Manchester’s Lebel All-Stars, the host team, out of the tournament, 14-12, in a later afternoon game.
But they came up just short and finished the game with the tying run on first base in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Vermont scored the next five runs to go up 14-9.
Bedford 12, Central Maine 4
Coach Kevin Lavigne’s Bedford team broke things open with a six-run seventh inning and then held off Central Maine with sharp pitching and defense.
Grant Lavigne, the coach’s son, led the way at the plate and on the mound.
Central Maine, the home team in the game, got the two runs in the bottom of the first inning to grab a 2-1 lead.
Lavigne batted with two outs and the bases loaded and worked his way to a full count. He then ripped a fastball to the fence.
“That gave us big momentum,” Kevin Lavigne said. “We go from being down 2-1 to up 5-2 on a full count. That’s a big pitch in the game. The kids were up and energized and enthusiastic.”
On Saturday, Bedford fell into a big hole early and its pitchers walked eight batters in a 9-5 loss in a tourney opener.
Lavigne allowed five hits, struck out four and walked none. Ryan Andrews came on in relief in the sixth and allowed three hits and walked one in his two innings.
Bedford had seven hits in the game and took advantage of 16 walks issued by Central Maine pitchers.
Plymouth, Mass., held off Westfield, 10-8, in a Sunday afternoon game.
Plymouth improved to 2-0 in the tournament. Westfield is 1-1.
Manchester lost its opening game in the tournament, 7-2, to Coventry, R.I., on Saturday night.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released