action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:167
All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 2 views left. | Register | Sign In


Man charged in random Manchester shooting gets lower bail


MANCHESTER – An attorney for Thomas Landry, 25, the city man accused of walking up to a stranger's car and firing into it, wounding a passenger, asked a judge for a major bail reduction so his client can get medical treatment.


William Schultz asked 9th Circuit Court-Manchester District Division Judge Gregory Michael to reduce Landry's bail from $50,000 cash/surety to $10,000, so he can get treatment from the Veterans Administration.

Landry is accused of shooting Josephine Otim on the night of July 15 as she sat in the passenger seat of a car on Somerville Street when the driver slowed down to let Landry cross the street. Police say Landry reached through the driver-side window and shot Otim, a mother of a 7-year-old. Otim had just finished a double shift in a Bedford nursing home.


Saying Landry suffered substantial injuries, including traumatic brain injury during military deployments, Schultz said, "The VA is uniquely in a position to provide the treatment he needs (for PTSD)."


While Schultz argued the incident was out of character for Landry, city prosecutor Gregory Mueller said Landry had been drinking that night, and his previous criminal conviction was for aggravated driving while intoxicated.


He said the shooting was a random act, but "an incredibly violent act." If Landry drinks again, there is the potential for more violence, said Mueller.


The judge, after being told Landry would live with his family at 759 Somerville St., said he was setting bail at $15,000 cash/surety.


In addition, said Michael, "He's going to be there on house arrest." Landry would only be permitted to leave the residence when he was being taken to treatment, which would include transfer to an inpatient program provided by the VA.


Landry had been scheduled for a probable cause hearing Tuesday on the charges stemming from the July 15 incident: first-degree assault, criminal threatening and reckless conduct-deadly weapon, and a status hearing on a disorderly conduct misdemeanor.


Schultz told the court he planned to file a motion Tuesday afternoon, but declined to say what that would address.


Questions were raised at the time of the arrest about Landry's competency to stand trial. Schultz told the judge that Landry has not been given all his medications while being held at the Valley Street Jail.



action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS03 | adString:NEWS03 | zoneID:

        

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Crime


NH Angle - Crime