Thomas Sowell: Blind faith in ideology, and the problems it causes
Seldom is there a speck of evidence that the thugs are troubled, and often there is ample evidence that they are in fact enjoying themselves as they create trouble and dangers for others.
At least as far back as the 18th century, the left has struggled to avoid facing the plain fact of evil — that some people simply choose to do things that they know to be wrong when they do them. Every kind of excuse, from poverty to an unhappy childhood, is used by the left to explain and excuse evil.
If the things that the left wants to control — institutions and government policy — are not the most important factors in the world's problems, then what role is there for the left?
One of the oldest and most dogmatic of the crusades of the left has been disarmament, both of individuals and of nations. Again, the focus of the left has been on the externals — the weapons in this case.
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic change Wednesday for Keene State move-in day - 0
- Historic Blair Bridge in Campton reopened - 1
- Creative ways to finance rail in NH pushed - 12
- Hudson grapples with traffic concerns as industrial park grows - 0
- Nashua transportation roundtable event canceled - 0
- Crews making progress on Derry's Rockingham Road - 1
- Crews make progress sprucing up Derry's Abbott Court, Central Court - 0
- Nashua aldermen asked to prioritize paving needs - 0
- State police targeting unsafe trucks, buses in 72-hour enforcement campaign - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test