Rochester captures first state American Legion baseball title since '90
That drought came to and end Tuesday night at Concord's Memorial Field, where Rochester beat Nashua 4-3 to claim the 2013 state title.
Rochester, which beat Laconia 6-3 earlier in the day to reach the final, will represent New Hampshire in the Northeast Regional, which will be played Aug. 8-12 in Middletown, Conn. Bedford (2011) is the last New Hampshire team to win the Northeast Regional.
Luke Roberts pitched 6 2/3 innings to earn the win. He held Nashua to one hit through the first six innings, but surrendered three runs on two hits and two walks in the seventh.
Jeff Lunn surrendered four runs (two earned) on 10 hits and took the loss.
Nashua had five hits — singles by Eric Damphousse, Michael Habibi, Nick Reed, Jason Ferlan and Chaz DeWitt.
Struthers also had an RBI single in the seventh and allowed Mark Leahy to score from second. Bellio scored Rochester's fourth run when he reached on a fielder's choice, took second on a throwing error and raced home on Zach Miller's single to right.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA - 12
- Joseph W. McQuaid: Keeping public in the dark isn't helping find Abigail - 26
- The Peace Light: A Christmas reminder for all - 0
- Doing 'less with less' Is that Gov. Hassan's new motto? - 11
- Washington Jeanne: Will Shaheen face her state? - 44
- McWages: They're about value - 82
- Night lights: Francestown freaks out - 1
- Outrage du jour Garcia, Sullivan and victimhood - 31
- Cyber Monday alarm: The sales tax monster rises - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Volunteers sought for discipline committees
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840