Home » Sports » Baseball » Youth leagues
Manchester 14’s take N.E. Babe Ruth baseball title
Drew Merrick’s walk-off single to left field with two outs plated Nate Hall with the winning run in a 6-5 victory over Waterford, Conn. for the 14-year-old New England Regional Tournament title at Bullens Field in Westfield, Mass., Tuesday.
On Monday, they pulled out a 5-4 seventh inning win to beat Warwick R.I., in the semifinals and Tuesday, the Hanagans regrouped after Waterford scored three times in the sixth inning to tie the game, 5-5.
Manchester padded its lead to 5-2 in the fifth inning. Joey Silva singled, stole second and bolted home on a double by Garrett Olivar. Hall, who finished the game with two hits, plated Olivar with a single.
Manchester pounded out 11 hits as Merrick and Swanson each had two hits.
Manchester will return home to enjoy the regional title before resuming play on Aug. 14 when the World Series opens in Moses Lake, Wash.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 5
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up