All Sections

Home | Crime

Call from Hooksett gas station led to arrests on I-93 in morning shooting

Union Leader Correspondent

July 31. 2013 10:14PM
POLICE TAPE AND a Hooksett police cruiser block entry to the Irving gas station, the site of a Wednesday morning shooting that left a man hospitalized in critical condition. (PAT GROSSMITH/Union Leader)

A Hooksett man is hospitalized in critical condition after being shot in the chest early Wednesday at the Irving gas station off Daniel Webster Highway in Hooksett. Daniel Grande, 32, called police from the West Alice Avenue station at 1:45 a.m. to say he was shot.
The call set off a search for a Honda minivan headed for Interstate 93.
Orlando Quintana of Lynn, Mass., and the driver of the car, Ana Koufos, 29, of Revere, Mass., were apprehended by Salem police at gunpoint around 2:23 a.m. just south of Exit 1, according to Salem Deputy Police Chief Shawn Patten.
At Wednesday's arraignment in 6th Circuit Court, Hooksett District Division, Quintana's bail was set at $100,000 cash. Koufos had her bail set at $25,000 cash. Quintana, charged with first-degree assault, has an extensive police record dating back to 1993, Hooksett police Sgt. Janet Bouchard said, including charges of assault with a deadly weapon and assault on a police officer and numerous violations of parole conditions.
Police believe a 9mm handgun was used in the shooting. Hooksett Police Chief Peter Bartlett said the gun has yet to be recovered. Police have obtained a search warrant to search the pair's Honda Odyssey.
"This wasn't a random shooting; we believe the victim and suspects had a prior relationship. We are still working to determine what that relationship was," Bartlett said.
Bouchard, who acted as prosecutor during the arraignment, said Quintana shot Grande inside the Honda Odyssey and Koufos was behind the wheel. Bouchard said Koufos did nothing to help Grande or report the crime, and at the time of their apprehension by Salem police, she was driving 100 mph with the headlights turned off.
Koufos was charged with hindering apprehension and had her bail set at $25,000 cash. Both charges are felonies.
Patten said Quintana gave police a false name when he was arrested,
Bouchard said that Quintana was identified in part due to his tattoos, while Bartlett said that he was uncooperative during the booking process.
While arguing for a lower bail, Quintana's appointed public defender, Brooke Belanger, said he has mental health issues that require treatment.
Both Quintana and Koufos have probable cause hearings scheduled for Aug. 7 at 9 a.m.
Grande was taken to Elliot Hospital in Manchester for treatment of the gunshot wound.
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff Writer Pat Grossmith and Correspondent Jim Kimble contributed to this report.

Crime Hooksett Manchester Top Section Stories

More Headlines