Home » News » Public Safety
Firefighters battle two-alarm blaze at Portsmouth police station
A two-alarm fire broke out in the basement of the Portsmouth Police Station on Tuesday night, causing significant smoke damage, but no injuries. (Gretyl Macalaster Photo)
The fire broke out around 7:45 p.m. in a shooting range in the basement of the station, Portsmouth Fire Chief Steve Achilles said.
The police station is housed in the same building as City Hall. Achilles said he fully expects City Hall to open on schedule Wednesday morning, but it is unclear when operations will resume at the police station.
Achilles said the entire basement sustained significant smoke damage. The basement houses the men's and women's locker rooms and a gym in addition to the shooting range.
By 10:30 p.m., Achilles had started to send crews home, although he said one or two engine companies would be on scene throughout the night.
Warchol said the fire resulted in a brief interruption in local dispatch operations, which are routed through the state 911 system. Achilles said they were not aware of any missed calls for responders.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem