Home » News » Public Safety
Outside firm to probe police handling of East Kingston trusty program
“The investigation will look into this matter as well as any (making) other potential policy and procedure recommendations,” Dworman said Wednesday.
“There is a continued ongoing investigation,” he said.
“We want to make sure going forward everything is done properly on our end and their end,” he said.
Morales said the town’s attorney, Bart Mayer of the law firm Upton & Hatfield, is handling the matter.
Brisbois was washing police cruisers at the police department through a trusty program at the Rockingham County jail that allows trusted low-risk inmates to spend part of their day performing maintenance work and other jobs at the county complex and several local police departments while under supervision.
Authorities say Brisbois broke into the evidence room where he ingested heroin and smoked marijuana before being returned to the jail under the influence.
While nothing was taken, authorities said Brisbois also broke into an officer’s locker where he had access to the officer’s duty belt with a gun, Taser and handcuffs.
East Kingston has stopped using trusties.
The incident has raised questions about the jail’s trusty program and the level of supervision provided by the police departments where the inmates work.
County commissioners and other officials are now reviewing the program.
“The reason why they’re called trusties is there’s a certain amount of trust (entrusted) in them,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 1
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 4
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 1
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help