All Sections

Home | Crime

Hooksett shooting victim speaking with police

Union Leader Correspondent

August 02. 2013 8:00PM

HOOKSETT — After being shot in the chest Wednesday morning outside an Irving gas station, Hooksett resident Daniel Grande has had his status updated from critical condition to guarded, or stable.

After being shot in the upper-right chest in the early-morning hours, Grande, 32, has made enough progress for officers to be able to talk to him while he recuperates at Elliot Hospital in Manchester, Hooksett Police Chief Peter Bartlett said.

"We went and spoke to him (Thursday), but we will probably have to talk to him a few more times," Bartlett said.

Shortly after Grande was shot Wednesday morning, Orlando Quintana of Lynn, Mass., and, Ana Koufos, 29, of Revere, Mass., were arrested by Salem police after being spotted driving south on I-93 traveling 100 mph with the headlights turned off.

Quintana has been charged with first degree assault for allegedly shooting Grande, and Koufos has been charged with hindering apprehension for driving the getaway car.

Bartlett said it appears that Grande, Quintana and Koufos appear to have had a previous relationship, but the extent of that relationship is still unknown. He added that it appears that Grande met up with the pair at the Irving station after driving there in a separate car.

"This wasn't a random shooting," Bartlett said earlier this week.

Bartlett clarified that Quintana and Koufos were sitting in Grande's car when Quintana allegedly shot Grande.

Along with being able to interview Grande, Bartlett said that police have received search warrants and have begun to search Grande's car, along with the Honda Odyssey Koufos and Quintana were in when they were arrested.

"Everything is going fantastic with the investigation, it is a very methodical process. Our detectives are working tirelessly to put the pieces of the puzzle together to make sure the case goes forward," Bartlett said.

While police believe that a 9mm handgun was used to shoot Grande, Bartlett said that a gun has not yet been recovered.

At Wednesday's arraignment in 6th Circuit Court, Hooksett District Division, Quintana's bail was set at $100,000 cash, while Koufos had her bail set at $25,000 cash.

Both Quintana and Koufos have probable cause hearings scheduled for Aug. 7.

Crime Hooksett Top Section Stories

More Headlines