Home » News » Public Safety
Deaths of Springfield men ruled a suicide pact
The bodies of Tom Pursell, 19, and Lester Snide, 23, were discovered by a juvenile on a hike in the area on April 19, 2012. Police found a rifle and two suicide notes at the scene and soon after said all indications were that Snide shot and killed Pursell, and then shot himself.
Evidence at the scene suggested the men had been deceased in the shed since mid- to late-December of 2011.
“Lester Snide and Clifford Pursell were friends at the time of their deaths. Both had struggled with thoughts of suicide in the past,” according to the final report.
“Snide was having difficulties while on parole and had stated many times that he would kill himself before he ever went back to prison. Pursell had recently learned discouraging news about life plans and was taking it hard.”
Officials quoted from the suicide notes found at the scene. Pursell wrote, “Lester didn’t murder me. I asked him to do it,” while Snide’s note was titled, “This is my final goodbye.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Motorcyclist suffers minor injuries in Saturday crash in Laconia - 0
- 18-year-old located with mother, brother on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Two killed in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- New fire training facility proposed in Nashua - 0
- 2 die in North Hampton plane crash - 0
- NH police on lookout for drunken drivers - 5
- Marine Patrol called to multiple crashes - 0
- Hiker rescued on Mount Monadnock - 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 1
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 1
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission
Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate
'Our job is to rebuild that middle class'