Home » News » Public Safety
Speed likely a factor in Litchfield Road crash in Londonderry
The driver, a 21-year-old man, was found lying semi-conscious on the side of the road when police and fire officials arrived. (Courtesy)
Police and fire officials responded to reports of a motor vehicle crash just before 8:30 p.m.
Upon arrival, crews discovered a Volkswagen GTI upside-down in the middle of the road near the Kelley Road intersection, Fire Chief Darren O'Brien said.
The driver, described as a 21-year-old man, was lying semi-conscious on the side of the road when police and fire officials arrived.
A paramedic began performing advanced life support care, while crews awaited the Dartmouth- Hitchcock helicopter to transport him to a Boston trauma center.
Police said the initial plan was to fly the man to Massachusetts General Hospital but he was later brought to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center instead.
Litchfield Road remained closed for several hours Thursday night as PSNH worked to repair the damaged pole.
Londonderry police Lt. Tim Jones said investigation into the accident was ongoing and no further information, including the identify of the victim, would be released at this time.
The initial investigation suggests excessive speed was a likely factor in the crash and the victim appeared to have been pulled from his vehicle by a passing motorist.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Weare Deputy Chief Sean Kelly set to manage Weare Police Department - 0
- Lizard in food sends 300 schoolchildren to hospital - 0
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Communications giant chips in for generator for Derry FD - 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem