Home » News » Public Safety
Speed likely a factor in Litchfield Road crash in Londonderry
The driver, a 21-year-old man, was found lying semi-conscious on the side of the road when police and fire officials arrived. (Courtesy)
Police and fire officials responded to reports of a motor vehicle crash just before 8:30 p.m.
Upon arrival, crews discovered a Volkswagen GTI upside-down in the middle of the road near the Kelley Road intersection, Fire Chief Darren O'Brien said.
The driver, described as a 21-year-old man, was lying semi-conscious on the side of the road when police and fire officials arrived.
A paramedic began performing advanced life support care, while crews awaited the Dartmouth- Hitchcock helicopter to transport him to a Boston trauma center.
Police said the initial plan was to fly the man to Massachusetts General Hospital but he was later brought to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center instead.
Litchfield Road remained closed for several hours Thursday night as PSNH worked to repair the damaged pole.
Londonderry police Lt. Tim Jones said investigation into the accident was ongoing and no further information, including the identify of the victim, would be released at this time.
The initial investigation suggests excessive speed was a likely factor in the crash and the victim appeared to have been pulled from his vehicle by a passing motorist.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
- Hampton man still in critical condition from Rte. 125 crash - 0
- UPDATE: Pilot OK after Lake Winnipesaukee plane crash - 0
- Hampton man in critical condition after crash on Route 125 - 0
- Concord water main break diverts traffic - 0
- Claremont convent ravaged by fire to be razed - 0
- Hampton woman pulled from truck, in hospital after I-95 crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Bruins shut out Wings
High School Volleyball results
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing