Home » News » Public Safety
Speed likely a factor in Litchfield Road crash in Londonderry
The driver, a 21-year-old man, was found lying semi-conscious on the side of the road when police and fire officials arrived. (Courtesy)
Police and fire officials responded to reports of a motor vehicle crash just before 8:30 p.m.
Upon arrival, crews discovered a Volkswagen GTI upside-down in the middle of the road near the Kelley Road intersection, Fire Chief Darren O'Brien said.
The driver, described as a 21-year-old man, was lying semi-conscious on the side of the road when police and fire officials arrived.
A paramedic began performing advanced life support care, while crews awaited the Dartmouth- Hitchcock helicopter to transport him to a Boston trauma center.
Police said the initial plan was to fly the man to Massachusetts General Hospital but he was later brought to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center instead.
Litchfield Road remained closed for several hours Thursday night as PSNH worked to repair the damaged pole.
Londonderry police Lt. Tim Jones said investigation into the accident was ongoing and no further information, including the identify of the victim, would be released at this time.
The initial investigation suggests excessive speed was a likely factor in the crash and the victim appeared to have been pulled from his vehicle by a passing motorist.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 4
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
- Officials: Manchester's crime rate showing sizable decline - 0
- Spaulding Turnpike speed limit headed up from 55 to 65 - 0
- Chemical spill at Nashua North sends 6 to hospital - 0
- Enfield home destroyed by 3-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- Derry Council revises tax cut goal - 0
- Police remove dogs, cats and pig from Derry home after report of strong odor - 0
- Former New London police chief settles with female accuser - 0
- Alleged parental kidnapper arraigned, ordered held on $250,000 cash bail - 0
- Reports: Celtics near completion of Rondo deal - 0
- Grid coach Cote, BG go their separate ways - 0
- Former owners of 'casualty' of Northern Pass file appeal - 0
- Boston Marathon bombing suspect appears in court as trial date approaches - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors
NH reacts to thaw with Cuba
Power Plays: BANANAS and NH's energy needs
Police: Man endangered child after overdose