Allen Lessels' NH Golf: Next stop for Barrett: U.S. Amateur
CHELSO BARRETT of Surry had a day off Friday. Sort of.
And he's vacationing in Maine this week. Sort of.
Barrett, who grew up on the family's Bretwood Golf Club in Keene and comes from a long line of successful golfers, had himself quite a week.
Barrett, 18 and a soon-to-be-freshman at Texas Christian University, won last week's New Hampshire Golf Association Stroke Play championship on the Jungle Course at the Green Meadow Golf Club in Hudson.
He shot a 74 in his opening round on Tuesday and followed it up with a blistering 7-under 65 on Wednesday. He then held off Damon Salo of The Shattuck Golf Club in Jaffrey and Jake Nutter of Manchester Country Club over the 36-hole final on Thursday.
For this week at least, Barrett, who got knocked out of the State Am in the round of 16 earlier in July, was the best of the state's impressive stable of young golfers.
He'll try to relax a bit, as well, in preparation for one of those really big events: He qualified again for the U.S. Amateur and heads to Massachusetts for the tournament on Friday. It starts next Monday, Aug. 12, with 18 holes of medal play at The Country Club of Brookline and the Charles River Club in Newton.
Barrett has played in the U.S. Amateur twice before, but has not advanced to match play.
Barrett heads straight to Texas Christian as soon as he wraps up his stay in the tournament. He's already delayed his arrival in Fort Worth.
"I was supposed to be there on the 13th and at the earliest I'll be there on the 14th," he said.
Texas Christian, a perennial power in Division I golf, opens the season with a tournament in Japan in September.
"I'm getting excited for (college)," he said "It's going to be totally different. . . . And I'm really excited about the trip."
TRACY MARTIN captured her first New Hampshire Women's Golf Association championship on her home Nashua Country Club course on Thursday. Martin, 23, was in a final threesome that included Lisanne Schmidt, 24, of the Eastman Golf Links, and Tracey Marshall, 21, of Abenaqui Country Club in Rye.
Next year's women's State Am will be played at Windham Country Club.
STONEBRIDGE Country Club in Goffstown will be the site of the men's 2014 State Amateur next July.
The men's 2015 State Am will be held at the Mount Washington Resort Golf Cub at Bretton Woods for the first time since the 1960s, Jelley said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 5
- Ted Gatsas and Bob Baines: STEAM Ahead will transform students' lives in Manchester - 5
- Jonah Goldberg: No, Obamacare is not remotely close to fixed - 2
- George Will: A case for containing Iran - 0
- New Hampshire's long-term health continues to decline - 8
- Lou Catano: Non-profit directors know that NH is a special, giving place - 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 3
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Fourth-graders ‘experience’ Ellis Island
Copper stolen from old Salem school
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840