Auburn's Dudek in 'Select' company
It's a far cry from the first time the 17-year-old Dudek stepped onto the ice back when he was 8 years old. "I didn't like it at all. I'd come off the ice crying. My parents wouldn't let me quit after the first year," Dudek said. "But I stuck with it and when I got to play on the travel team I scored a lot of goals and that made me happy."
"I don't think any of us envisioned the success that he's had to this point," said Joey's father, Joe Dudek. "After he got through the initial concerns about the game, we saw right away that he loved it and he was fortunate early on that had coaches that took him under their wing and helped him catch up to the others on the team."
"Like any other sport, hockey is about finding the open area, the open space. No different from a running back finding a hole, it's the same thing with a hockey player finding the open ice and making things happen," Joe Dudek said. "I think my son's vision, I had it when I played football and my wife (Jodi) had it (as a field hockey player). I used to say there were a lot of running backs that ran as fast as me and were as big or bigger than me, but I think the difference is when you can see the game and slow the game down like I was able to. I see a lot of that in Joey."
Corkum is a Massachusetts native and with most of the U-18 team hailing from Minnesota and the Midwest, he and Dudek have a special New England tie. Dudek was also recruited by Corkum when he was an assistant at Maine.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Belichick’s magic act worthy of honor - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Dolphins seeking AFC wild card - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: The book on Bennett - 1
- NHIAA wrestling at Manchester - 0
- Sullinger has figured out NBA schedule maker - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 1
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Goalies everywhere - 0
- 'The Granite Wall' stays solid as UNH marches into postseason - 0
- Lebanon City Hall renovation could move forward at hearing - 0
- Belmont makes deal to sell Winnisquam fire station for $240,000 - 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 0
- $3.6 million rotary near Nashua-Hudson line advances - 0
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan
State agrees to delete toll booth photos
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840