Auburn's Dudek in 'Select' company
It's a far cry from the first time the 17-year-old Dudek stepped onto the ice back when he was 8 years old. "I didn't like it at all. I'd come off the ice crying. My parents wouldn't let me quit after the first year," Dudek said. "But I stuck with it and when I got to play on the travel team I scored a lot of goals and that made me happy."
"I don't think any of us envisioned the success that he's had to this point," said Joey's father, Joe Dudek. "After he got through the initial concerns about the game, we saw right away that he loved it and he was fortunate early on that had coaches that took him under their wing and helped him catch up to the others on the team."
"Like any other sport, hockey is about finding the open area, the open space. No different from a running back finding a hole, it's the same thing with a hockey player finding the open ice and making things happen," Joe Dudek said. "I think my son's vision, I had it when I played football and my wife (Jodi) had it (as a field hockey player). I used to say there were a lot of running backs that ran as fast as me and were as big or bigger than me, but I think the difference is when you can see the game and slow the game down like I was able to. I see a lot of that in Joey."
Corkum is a Massachusetts native and with most of the U-18 team hailing from Minnesota and the Midwest, he and Dudek have a special New England tie. Dudek was also recruited by Corkum when he was an assistant at Maine.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Johnson honored for sixth NASCAR title - 0
- Kilpatrick leads UNH women past Dartmouth - 0
- UNH, Dartmouth football players named All-New England - 0
- Manchester Monarchs beat Portland Pirates in shootout - 0
- Wildcats shut down Black Bears again - 1
- U.S. preparing for grueling World Cup - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840