Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Deciphering grandsons an exercise in word-play
Ike stayed over the other night. Kicked me in the head about a dozen times in his sleep, and helpfully told me in the morning that he had already taken a shower the day before.
This caught my attention. A quick glance to his grandmother provided the explanation.
"He means cradle CAP," she whispered.
The middle boy doesn't say much, but he knows what he wants.
He and Spike invaded the house the other morning and Mike immediately started hunting for the TV remote.
"Show! Show, Pop-Pop!" he commanded, handing me the device.
He kept repeating something, which I take it was the show he wanted. It sounded like "Wiener press conference," but I couldn't find that one on C-SPAN and I wasn't sure it was age-appropriate. I never did figure it out. Instead, I left the remote with his grandmother and headed for work.
She had lost it the previous day. She told me she thought Mike or Ike might have taken it home with them.
I called her number but to my surprise, Mike didn't answer. No one did. Awhile later, I went to check in the garage, on the hunch the phone might have been left in the car. No luck. But when I re-dialed the number, I could hear a faint ring tone.
Write to Joe McQuaid at email@example.com or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 0
- George Will: In California, Goldwater 2.0 - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Will big business become the left's faithful lapdog? - 2
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Playing the race card at the border - 2
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 6
- Another View -- Stephen L. Carter: Why is the left going after profit? - 10
- Clifford D. May: Pinpointing the cause and effect in Gaza - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 2
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 2
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket