Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Deciphering grandsons an exercise in word-play
Ike stayed over the other night. Kicked me in the head about a dozen times in his sleep, and helpfully told me in the morning that he had already taken a shower the day before.
This caught my attention. A quick glance to his grandmother provided the explanation.
"He means cradle CAP," she whispered.
The middle boy doesn't say much, but he knows what he wants.
He and Spike invaded the house the other morning and Mike immediately started hunting for the TV remote.
"Show! Show, Pop-Pop!" he commanded, handing me the device.
He kept repeating something, which I take it was the show he wanted. It sounded like "Wiener press conference," but I couldn't find that one on C-SPAN and I wasn't sure it was age-appropriate. I never did figure it out. Instead, I left the remote with his grandmother and headed for work.
She had lost it the previous day. She told me she thought Mike or Ike might have taken it home with them.
I called her number but to my surprise, Mike didn't answer. No one did. Awhile later, I went to check in the garage, on the hunch the phone might have been left in the car. No luck. But when I re-dialed the number, I could hear a faint ring tone.
Write to Joe McQuaid at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter at @deucecrew.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: How will he top the Twinkie auction for Santa Fund? - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Farnum Center: Blight to bright - 1
- Scene in Manchester: Dressing for success (and to help save lives) - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Something to cheer about - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Mom's outlook puts everything in perspective - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Tech lovers can't give these glasses a pass - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Stache Dash to raise cash - 2
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Boutiques transform a city block - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Wear pink and prepare to be pampered at the Enchanting Beauty Women's Expo - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 0
- Driver killed in head-on collision in Columbia - 0
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 1
- UNH's logo: Hip ... for now - 0
- Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp - 0
- Woman suffers hip injury while fleeing Campton blaze - 0
- Bears sink Cowboys in frigid battle - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Key NH Dems attend Lantos Foundation event honoring Clinton, White House partiesREADER COMMENTS: 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Hollis teen dies in crash on turnpike ramp
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice