Pat Buchanan: The last hurrah of the interventionists?
The House voted 400-20 to impose new sanctions on Iran's oil exports, two days before Iran's new president, elected on a pledge to re-engage the West on the nuclear issue, takes his oath.
A large majority of Americans, too, want no part of that civil war.
Today, as government at all levels consumes nearly 40 percent of gross domestic product, as the deficit is growing three times as fast as the GDP, as China continues to grow at four times the U.S. rate, we need to ask ourselves: What should we fight for? Whom shall we defend? What can we afford in the way of national defense? What must we afford? Consider America's alliances, almost all of which date to a Cold War no American under 25 can even remember.
U.S. treaties with Japan and the Philippines date to the 1950s, when Chairman Mao was exporting communist revolution. Should these treaties now require us to go to war with China to defend disputed islets and rocks in the East and South China Sea?
Must we still deploy a U.S. army on the Korean DMZ?
Patrick J. Buchanan is the author of "Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025?"
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rivier University in Nashua aims to transform campus with $4 million plan - 0
- Move to Concord eyed for offices of university system - 5
- Nashua in running for education grant - 0
- Teacher cuts proposed in Londonderry - 22
- Derry school district expects 2014-15 25-student enrollment increase - 0
- Derry teacher who brings science to life a national award finalist - 0
- Londonderry sophomore has a passion for the past - 0
- Students take part in seminar on privacy at Nashua North - 0
- Londonderry kids learn while doing on Toga Tuesday - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up