Northern Pass shadow hangs over discussion of rules for buried transmission lines
A sub-committee of the House Science, Technology and Energy Committee is reviewing three bills that would have utilities bury transmission lines.
"It seems to me this would be taking a major step before the energy plan is out," said Rep. Jacqueline Cali-Pitts, D-Portsmouth.
The three bills the committee is studying all require some transmission lines to be buried.
He noted Public Service of New Hampshire built a $480 million scrubber to remove emissions from the Merrimack Station power plant in Bow and that cost will be passed on to consumers.
Will Abbott of the Society for the Protection of NH Forests said current state law is inadequate in addressing issues like those associated with the Northern Pass transmission project.
The committee has to make a report by Dec. 1 to suggest legislation for next year, or to kill the bills.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi : What the Pope gets wrong about capitalism - 0
- Bob Witkop: Obama is not the only one to blame for Obamacare - 24
- Jonah Goldberg: Coming to grips with the rise of the machines - 3
- George Will: The choices we have on Iran - 0
- Roger Simon: We should not be in Afghanistan next year - 3
- Charles Krauthammer: America in retreat, allies abandoned - 0
- Charles Lane: A Social Security fix that fixes nothing - 26
- Fergus Cullen: Baines and Bramante modernize education for the iTunes era - 2
- John Stossel: Want to give back? Start a business - 9
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
Ads go after Shea-Porter for ACA support
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice