Home » News » Roads and Travel
Memorial Bridge ceremony is Thursday in Portsmouth
As of Tuesday, New Hampshire Department of Transportation officials were still unsure when they would take control of the bridge.
As of Tuesday, NH DOT officials were going through a final list to make sure everything has been done according to the construction contract, and that all of the individual components of the new lift bridge are working together as a system.
Boynton said NH DOT will be accepting a safe, operable bridge that can be opened to traffic, but a number of adjustments will need to be made over the next few months.
A pier protection fender system will also be installed as a buffer against passing ships.
United States Senators Jeanne Shaheen, D-NH, Kelly Ayotte, R-NH and Susan Collins, R-Maine, are scheduled to speak during the opening ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m. on the Portsmouth side of the bridge. U.S. DOT Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez and New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan will also speak.
The official ceremony will be preceded by a procession across the Memorial Bridge starting at 10:40 a.m. from the Maine side on Badger’s Island.
When the bridge is opened will determine how vehicular traffic is handled. If it opens today, the bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday. If it does not open today, the bridge will be opened to vehicular traffic some time to be determined much later in the day on Thursday, Boynton said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
New Hampshire Senior News Notes
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use