Memorial Bridge ceremony is Thursday in Portsmouth
As of Tuesday, New Hampshire Department of Transportation officials were still unsure when they would take control of the bridge.
As of Tuesday, NH DOT officials were going through a final list to make sure everything has been done according to the construction contract, and that all of the individual components of the new lift bridge are working together as a system.
Boynton said NH DOT will be accepting a safe, operable bridge that can be opened to traffic, but a number of adjustments will need to be made over the next few months.
A pier protection fender system will also be installed as a buffer against passing ships.
United States Senators Jeanne Shaheen, D-NH, Kelly Ayotte, R-NH and Susan Collins, R-Maine, are scheduled to speak during the opening ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m. on the Portsmouth side of the bridge. U.S. DOT Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez and New Hampshire Governor Maggie Hassan will also speak.
The official ceremony will be preceded by a procession across the Memorial Bridge starting at 10:40 a.m. from the Maine side on Badger’s Island.
When the bridge is opened will determine how vehicular traffic is handled. If it opens today, the bridge will be closed to vehicular traffic from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday. If it does not open today, the bridge will be opened to vehicular traffic some time to be determined much later in the day on Thursday, Boynton said.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- George Will: Battle royal in Iowa - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Our real Syria strategy: containment-plus - 0
- Roger Simon: Do 'real men' hit women? - 3
- Another View -- Scott Brown: America's interests come before party or President - 27
- John Stossel: We have two anti-choice parties in America - 1
- Another View -- Andres Martinez: How our imperial tax code encourages inversions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: What 'war on women'? - 4
- George Will: High stakes in Kansas - 1
- Kathy Sullivan: NH GOP's smearing of good people hits a new low - 29
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man accused of cutting wife’s throat committed to psychiatric hospital - 1
- Two may have stabbed each other in Concord parking garage incident, police say - 0
- Manchester joyride in a stolen truck lands two in handcuffs - 0
- High School Football Power Poll: Some shuffling in the middle - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 1
- Crosstown Variety Store robbed in Manchester - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio: A well-earned celebration for Sox. - 0
- A’s earn their way into postseason play - 0
Dover man's nightmare lesson for everyone
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH
Personhood Controversial? Really?
License revocations for DWI announced
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser