NH Veterans Home residents are adjusting to no-smoking policy
Commandant Margaret LaBrecque said residents were notified of the change in July of 2012, giving them a year's notice of the change.
Of the home's nearly 200 residents, nine are still smoking and have been "grandfathered" to allow them to smoke outside in a small covered area, she said.
The home decided to end smoking on its campus after home officials learned of incidents at other health-care facilities in the country in which people have died or been seriously injured while smoking near oxygen or other flammable medical equipment.
There were 10 holdout smokers, but one has quit since the policy was officially implemented on July 1, LaBrecque said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Family wants remains of Swanzey sailor killed at Pearl Harbor returned for NH burial - 1
- Study of New Hampshire veterans spurs drive to help them - 0
- Wreath laid on Pierce grave in Concord - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
- Meredith man gets McQuillen Award for service to vets - 0
- Wright Museum in Wolfeboro to preserve Walter Healy's story - 0
- Auburn students get special visitor - 0
- Wounded warrior needs some help - 0
- VAMC Manchester : Try quitting smoking today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council