Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Royals ride six-run sixth to win over Red Sox
Justin Maxwell cracked a solo homer among his three hits and had two RBIs while David Lough also drove in a pair for the Royals, who moved within four games of Texas for the final American League wild card spot.
Francisley Bueno (1-0) pitched 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief to earn the victory.
Mike Napoli hit a three-run double and David Ortiz added a solo home run for the Red Sox, whose lead in the AL East over Tampa Bay shrunk to 1 1/2 games.
Drake Britton (1-1) yielded two runs and allowed two inherited runners to score after entering the sixth inning with none out and Boston leading 6-4.
After Ortiz went deep and Jarrod Saltalamacchia delivered an RBI double in the third, Alex Gordon homered in the bottom half to tie it at 3.
Dustin Pedroia and Ortiz singled and Daniel Nava was hit by a pitch - all with two outs - before Napoli ripped a double over Maxwell's head in center to clear the bases in the fourth.
Alcides Escobar's RBI single chased Boston starter Jake Peavy and Lough hit a sacrifice fly three batters later.
Hosmer followed with an opposite-field single to left and Billy Butler greeted reliever Pedro Beato with an RBI double before Maxwell's single drove in Butler two batters later to finish the uprising.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Kansas City's Greg Holland earned his 31st save in 33 chances after pitching a perfect ninth inning. ... Peavy, who is 1-5 at Kauffman Stadium, allowed six runs and 10 hits in five-plus innings as his ERA in Kansas City rose to 6.32. Peavy yielded a home run for the seventh straight game, serving up 10 during that span. ... The Royals' Ervin Santana yielded six runs and nine hits in 3 2/3 innings after going 3-0 with a 1.27 ERA in his previous four starts.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vonn finishes training run, mulls entering Friday's race - 0
- College Roundup: Springfield shoots SNHU past FPU - 0
- Vin Sylvia: After Ellsbury: Give the kids a chance - 0
- Penmen follow simple theme - 0
- Last Huddle for Lenahan today - 0
- Monarchs back to work for three-game weekend - 0
- Army captain stops LaMotte in mixed martial arts bout - 0
- College Notebook: NH athletes receive fall accolades - 0
- MMA 'Throwdown at The Rock' to feature Nate LaMottee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hudson man facing DWI charge after crash - 0
- Minimum wage rally at South Willow McDonald's - 5
- Frisbie hospital seeks hearing on network exclusion, information denial - 0
- Ayotte praised over attempt to change broadband funding - 0
- Pats prepare for Browns' bag of 'tricks' - 0
- Windham teachers' contract in mediation - 0
- Ayotte tours Dover camping gear firm - 0
- Newton boy badly hurt when struck by SUV while walking - 0
- Police recover stolen SUV investigating burglary - 0
Dingman: Parole me for murder of parents
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to be in Londonderry tonight, says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans