Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Are backyard chickens like gateway drugs?
That is, if you are one of those people interested in the latest, hottest new trend of raising hens in your backyard so that you can have eggs, try 'em before you fly 'em. That way, you won't have too much egg on your face.
The hen one said that people are intrigued by the idea of raising chickens, but they aren't sure how much trouble they will be, whether the prospective owner will be able to care for them (brushing hen's teeth, for example), or whether the neighbors will mind.
According to the NPR (National Poultry Radio) report, some neighbors are suspicious that chickens just may be like marijuana, a kind of "gateway drug'' that will lead to goats, cows and all kinds of critters. Sort of a chicken-leads-to-pot kind of thing.
Lawns and goats do, of course.
You know it's the dog days of August in the news business when the networks start reporting on how the government is using goats to trim back the greenery at federal cemeteries.
"You don't have to clean up after a lawn mower. Who cleans up after the goats?''
Meanwhile, state Fish and Game wants us all to be on the lookout for wild turkeys. If you see something, say something. OK, Ted Walski, take this down. Two wild turkeys four miles up on the Cog Railway base road last Monday. Two more on the Everett Turnpike southbound about a mile after the Bedford tolls last Thursday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 6
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 82
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 5
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 1
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too