Home » Opinion » Editorials
Good gun decision: Loaded actually means loaded
Manchester District Court Judge Gregory Michael, giving the police a great benefit of the doubt, said the law was “potentially ambiguous’’ on the point and bucked it up to the Supreme Court. The AG should have moved to not waste taxpayer money, but instead did so by arguing the case.
The AG argued that “with’’ should be interpreted broadly as “denoting nearness, agreement or connection.’’
Does “next to’’ count? How about “really, really close?’’
Fortunately, the court saw this not as a close case at all. Loaded means loaded, it said. We are reminded here of the woman’s reply when W.C. Fields, in the “Bank Dick’’ movie, asked if her little boy’s toy gun was loaded.
“We would have preferred it go the other way,’’ said Assistant AG Nicholas Cort, who argued the losing case.
We think the majority of his bosses, the citizens of New Hampshire, are glad that it did not go his way.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester, Derry road races draw more than 3,600 trotters - 0
- Holiday road, trail races aplenty across NH - 0
- Wobble 'n' Gobble run set for Thanksgiving in Franconia - 0
- Wolfeboro Turkey Trot aids Lions Club, food pantries - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Communities reap economic benefits from road races - 0
- Road issues bring future Hampton marathons into question - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Time has come for NH road racing Hall of Fame - 0
- Andy Schachat's On The Run: How big are NH races going to get? - 0
- She runs as repayment - 0
READER COMMENTS: 33
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council