Home » Opinion » Editorials
Good gun decision: Loaded actually means loaded
Manchester District Court Judge Gregory Michael, giving the police a great benefit of the doubt, said the law was “potentially ambiguous’’ on the point and bucked it up to the Supreme Court. The AG should have moved to not waste taxpayer money, but instead did so by arguing the case.
The AG argued that “with’’ should be interpreted broadly as “denoting nearness, agreement or connection.’’
Does “next to’’ count? How about “really, really close?’’
Fortunately, the court saw this not as a close case at all. Loaded means loaded, it said. We are reminded here of the woman’s reply when W.C. Fields, in the “Bank Dick’’ movie, asked if her little boy’s toy gun was loaded.
“We would have preferred it go the other way,’’ said Assistant AG Nicholas Cort, who argued the losing case.
We think the majority of his bosses, the citizens of New Hampshire, are glad that it did not go his way.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rep. Stephen Shurtleff: What NH can accomplish when we cooperate in Concord - 0
- Brian Bouchard's NH Legal Perspective: Cloudy with a chance of trade secret forfeiture - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- John Stossel: Making legal immigration easier would help America - 2
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 6
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vailas rallies UNH football to 29-26 win over Richmond - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Raiders should be tucked away early - 0
- St. Anselm football wins home opener, goes to 3-0 - 0
- SNHU golfer Nutter earns weekly honor - 0
- Dover's Helliwell wins ACT Invitational - 0
- Concord, Pinkerton, Coe-Brown runners win - 0
- Nashua South gets on track by beating Merrimack - 0
- Pinkerton stuffs Salem late, holds on - 0
- Dartmouth football wins opener over Central Conn., 35-25 - 0
Goodell vows domestic violence change
NH's future: Dean Kamen highlights a problem