Deroy Murdock: Republicans should defund Obamacare now
Republican Sens. Mike Lee of Utah, Marco Rubio of Florida, Rand Paul of Kentucky and Ted Cruz of Texas are leading a valiant effort to pass legislation in September that will finance the federal government, as is, but zero out Obamacare, officially called the Affordable Care Act. Short of repeal, which President Barack Obama would veto, this may be the last exit before Obamacare's New Year's Day implementation. Once this beast is unleashed, its fire-breathing destruction could become uncontainable.
"One major problem is the so-called Independent Payment Advisory Board. The IPAB is essentially a health care rationing body. ... The IPAB will cause frustration to providers and patients alike, and it will fail to control costs."
Thus wrote former presidential candidate and Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean, M.D., in July 29's Wall Street Journal. He likes aspects of Obamacare, but considers the board a clinical wrecking ball.
"One thing that we hear in the commentary that we get ... is that some employers are hiring part time in order to avoid the mandate" for insuring staffers who work more than 30 hours weekly, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke testified July 17 on Capitol Hill.
The term "Affordable Care Act" has become a sick punch line.
Deroy Murdock is a columnist with Scripps Howard News Service, a Fox News contributor and a media fellow with Stanford University's Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace. His email is Deroy.Murdock@gmail.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Federal prosecutors are out of control - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: How offshore oil rigs are helping the environment - 1
- George Will: In Kentucky, a constitutional moment - 3
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 5
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Home-grown talent has UNH women's cross country out in front - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Playoff picture will get clearer - 0
- New players, new coach, new look for Monarchs in home opener tonight - 0
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 0
- Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad - 0
- FairPoint paying thousands a day for police details at Manchester sites alone - 0
- Police say man robbed Rochester bank wearing zebra print dress - 0
- New York doctor who worked in West Africa tests positive for Ebola - 0
- UMass Lowell polls show senate, gubernatorial races still a close call - 0
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks