Deroy Murdock: Republicans should defund Obamacare now
Republican Sens. Mike Lee of Utah, Marco Rubio of Florida, Rand Paul of Kentucky and Ted Cruz of Texas are leading a valiant effort to pass legislation in September that will finance the federal government, as is, but zero out Obamacare, officially called the Affordable Care Act. Short of repeal, which President Barack Obama would veto, this may be the last exit before Obamacare's New Year's Day implementation. Once this beast is unleashed, its fire-breathing destruction could become uncontainable.
"One major problem is the so-called Independent Payment Advisory Board. The IPAB is essentially a health care rationing body. ... The IPAB will cause frustration to providers and patients alike, and it will fail to control costs."
Thus wrote former presidential candidate and Democratic National Chairman Howard Dean, M.D., in July 29's Wall Street Journal. He likes aspects of Obamacare, but considers the board a clinical wrecking ball.
"One thing that we hear in the commentary that we get ... is that some employers are hiring part time in order to avoid the mandate" for insuring staffers who work more than 30 hours weekly, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke testified July 17 on Capitol Hill.
The term "Affordable Care Act" has become a sick punch line.
Deroy Murdock is a columnist with Scripps Howard News Service, a Fox News contributor and a media fellow with Stanford University's Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace. His email is Deroy.Murdock@gmail.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 1
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 3
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 11
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released